Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 215

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 220
CRUISING for SEX - View Single Post - The "Sweetheart Scam" - Not Just For Elders
View Single Post
Old 24th March 2016, 12:08 PM
infopop
Bob S: Administrator / Manager / Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlDewd66 View Post
Yet, I have always recognized that small acts of generosity can have very great impact on improving and maintaining a good and happy life.
I know we're getting away from the original subject matter but you made a very important point there, KD.

I would also add that gratitude as an everyday practice also has an incredible impact on improving "a good and happy life" whatever one's place or standing, rich or poor, young or old.

I do know the elderly are particularly vulnerable to all sorts of scams, whether from advancing age, declining capacities, lack of social connections to family or friends or support networks or whatever.

Thus, the sweepstakes scams, the repeat mailings from whatever cause/charity/religious group/politician or political group, regardless of their status or authenticity. Here in the US there is an issue with sort of "bogus" charities that consume most of their donations in salaries and administrative costs and do little for their supposed beneficiaries. Some of these use phone calls from hired call centers with high-pressure tactics; they won't take no for an answer.

I recall a friend's elderly mother who subscribed to a magazine called "Windows" and was upset when she found that it was full of stories and ads for computers and such and had nothing about drapes and window treatments.

It's amusing, but for many credulousness seems to increase with age. Others, of course, are overly credulous and trusting all their lives. And of course, others are overly suspicious.

And in at least one or more political campaigns here this year, we see both credulousness based on suspicion and sometimes hatred. Did I really just write that? I didn't mean to get into that sort of thing.

Now I'm digressing as middle-aged men do, and I must move on.

~ Bob
Quote |