Forgot Password?
You are:
Not a member? Register for free!

Message Board > Our Archives > Cruisemaster Road Trip: Summer 2001   Entry Thirteen: Tearoom Sex in Copenhagen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th July 2001, 06:02 AM
Former Cruisemaster
(Deceased 2012)

Wink Entry Thirteen: Tearoom Sex in Copenhagen

I’d never been to a Scandinavian country and didn’t know what to expect. Joe and I took off last Wednesday for Copenhagen, Denmark, considered the liveliest city in this part of the world. Within minutes off the train, he and I were walking around spellbound by the people. I’ll put it this way, in Copenhagen Brad Pitt would NOT cause heads to turn. When the doors opened for our public bus to take us to the hotel, the man behind the wheel looked better than Robert Redford in the prime of his career. Men and women here are so beautiful you may believe you’ve arrived in a city assembled by central casting.

I confess to having a weak spot for blonde haired and blue-eyed men – long ago I succumbed to the images Hollywood fed me. But even those who haven’t will soon notice the beauty of Copenhagen. Simply put, the ordinary Dane is beautiful. Not all are blonde and blue-eyed, but even those who weren’t, are handsome. Obesity seems to be almost a non-problem here. Even the elderly men and women we saw were fit and attractive. Indeed, it seems like the stereotypical picture of Scandinavian perfection.

So with only two days to both explore the city and the sex, we headed for Faelledparken, a big park in the Osterbro part of town away from most tourist spots. We figured it was time to see if tearoom sex existed in Copenhagen. It is often taken for granted that when gay equality comes, all those ‘perversions’ that give so many of us so much pleasure will fade away, replaced I guess by some form of gay middle-class respectability. Well, of all the cities in the world, this one has come as close as you can get to full equality for gay people but guess what? We found, actually rather easily, tearoom sex!

The active toilet is located on the western edge of the park, near the restaurant/bar. There are two toilets here, one probably installed as a direct result of some desire to provide a toilet where men didn’t regularly cruise – or so I’d guess. (Such a sensible solution isn’t it, especially compared to the American solution of closing down cruisy toilets.) The one not to cruise is actually a trailer, while the cruisy toilet is a cute little structure (see picture). It’s walls and stalls are covered with graffiti, most of it about meeting up for sex. There are two separate entrances for men, one leading to a trough urinal, the other to several stalls, most with doors. The action happens in here or guys meet up and go into the nearby bushes. Some men hang out in their cars along the nearby street, Borgmester Jensens Alle.

Joe and I cruised both the toilet and the surrounding bushes and found that on this summer afternoon, around 3 pm, there were maybe 10 guys obviously hanging around for the same purpose as us. Average age during this time of day was 40, but the park was packed with men of all ages, most actually rather young and nearly naked. The sign said the toilet was unlocked at 9 am and closed again at 9:15 pm. Judging from the telltale signs in the bushes, this place might be considered a good option even late in the night. So nice to find an active tearoom where the cops aren’t likely to bust you. Even the gay tourist brochure, supplied by the central tourist office, said, “Sex in public is not considered a severe criminal act in Denmark...Don’t be afraid of the police – they are there to protect you...�

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook Share on MySpace

Old 1st August 2001, 01:31 PM

Keith,

My partner and I spent a week in Copenhagen in July, and I agree wholeheartedly with you that they are a very pretty people--I kept thinking of Sting. We visited the same gorgeous park but it didn't even occur to us to check out the WC. Thanks for the memories.

Wotan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook Share on MySpace
Old 5th September 2001, 11:08 PM

Thanks for the info Keith. I first went to CPH last September and plan to return again on the 24th. It is only two days but I know it will be two blissful days. I will be returning from a 12-day trip to Egypt, where I do not expect to have a lot of sex, so CPH look out!