Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 215

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 220
CRUISING for SEX - View Single Post - Risk, In Sex And In Life In General
View Single Post
Old 24th November 2015, 09:44 AM
infopop
Bob S: Administrator / Manager / Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlDewd66 View Post
Unlike Bob, in those days, I used to believe that many/most(?) of the guys I was meeting for sex among the members of my college coterie were actually HIV negative guys...
Truly a different context: I came out in my final year of college and didn't have a group of friends like that. The time of exploring and becoming more adventurous for me was when I moved to DC, right as the HIV/ADS was beginning to reach high public awareness.

DC was a hot spot both gay men and for HIV/AIDS. I knew the first man to publicly identify himself in DC as being a PWA and to be interviewed by the Washington Post. I didn't know him well but I became a better friend with his lover, who later also died.

As an introvert just beginning to come out of my shell as a person, not just as being gay, I had very few truly close friends. So many of my (what should I call them?) friendly acquaintances and and sex partners did indeed have HIV. There were funerals, quilt panels, demonstrations, and more.

Eventually I had a boyfriend of many years who was a hospice volunteer. He taught me a lot. The whole thing, the sheer sense of mortality, permeated one's consciousness and life.

I must go, running late again, and the dogs are demanding breakfast. Just as well.

~ Bob
Quote |