Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 215

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 220
CRUISING for SEX - View Single Post - Asians and sex clubs
View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2001, 03:58 PM

Hey Hollywoodboys, for the most part you're dead-on. I find it interesting though that you start you're comments with the same sort of sweeping generalization which is the basis of the discrimination which you denounce. I haven't spent enough time in Chicago to say where the city might fall on the scale, but to say that "in New York this wouldn't even be a conversation" strikes me along the lines of "Los Angeles = Racist" which is same kind of thinking that produces "Asians = Undesirable". And correct me if I'm wrong but are you talking about the same New York that invented the velvet rope? You know the one behind which club patrons have to stand before they are admitted on the basis of HOW THEY LOOK? Having friends who work as doormen at a couple of these clubs I know for a fact that they are instructed to limit the number or asian, black and Puerto Rican faces admitted. Maybe they might not have this conversation, but it doesn't mean Los Angeles is the sole site of discrimination. It's not that I don't agree with your position, I just wanted to point out how pervasive and often overlooked is the kind of flawed logic and generalizing that contributes to discrimination.