Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 215

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 220
CRUISING for SEX - View Single Post - Asians and sex clubs
View Single Post
Old 4th January 2001, 02:54 AM

I had promised myself I was just going to observe, but...

I am really glad I started this discussion, and have gone from being absolutely ashamed of being gay to elated and back more than once.

Justaguy78, the problem here, and it may be specific to the gay sex business, is that the reality of the situation is the opposite of your statement that "If any club,bar,resturant,or cafe ever discrimates anyone it doesn't stay up long." The businesses that practiced discrimination were (or are, you pick) actually being rewarded, and the ones that don't are being punished. As Good1 states in his post, he'll take his cock where it'll get hard and that he is NOT a racist. I don't believe he is a racist, he simply has physical preferences just like anyone else. However, in this so-called enlightened new century, Good1 will reward the business that he knows to discriminate against some gay men with his patronage, and without a second thought. The fact that they discriminate at the door is perceived by him as a benefit. And the fact that they use the discrimination to harm their competition matters little to him either. He should perhaps realize that if all the clubs were open, he may have more places to go. Instead, he's letting greedy men take his money and narrow his cruising space at the same time. The Zone was never known as an "Asian" destination when we and The MeatRack were the only games in town (to speak of). Then other clubs opened and started this whole thing. In sending all the Asians at their door to The Zone, it was an attempt to bring down what was, at the time, the busiest and best known club of all. Probably no one knows of the countless times that the other club owners sent the police or fire dept. to The Zone in attempts to harrass us. Did you know that Vortex was SO illegal (occupancy of about 12) that I could have done the same thing to them and closed them down in the first week? But I never once stooped that low. And it goes so much lower than that, including numerous threatening messages from the club owners themselves on my home phone about how "the new guys in town" were gonna bury me and put me out of business by whatever means necessary. But I digress...

I posed some questions when I started the discussion. The gist of them was whether or not barring a certain race was discriminatory in the case of a sex club, and, if it was, was it justified. And, if you knew a gay business to discriminate, would you still patronize it. Sometimes the discussion slipped into ridiculous comments about penis size and such, but for the most part people were split in their opinions and kept to the subject. And then there were those who approached it so simply that now, to their mind, The Zone is only an Asian club (which it is not, probably 20% of our membership is Asian.) There are those who abhor that a gay business would even think about discriminating, and I applaud their values. And there are those who can't even deal with that 20%. To them it's all or nothing. I can't tell you how many times I have seen seemingly intelligent gay men come into The Zone and, seeing three or four Asian men out of dozens of men, have remarked that The Zone allows "snipers" or some other racist remark. To them the three or four faces translates into "the place is full of them!" You've seen what some men have posted here. I'll be the first to admit that on some nights at some times there is a larger percentage, but it's nowhere near a majority ever (not that I'm tallying, but I know my club). Yet, it causes quite a reaction in many people. I wanted to understand where that was coming from. Now I know, and I am ashamed.

When I read some of the posts here and realized that, in my business, I have to deal with gay people who will reward bigotry and hatred if it gets them laid, I became so repulsed that I became sick to my stomach and frightened all at the same time. I really didn't know what to think before the discussion. I had an open mind about it, but now I truly know where my opinion lies. I obviously am in the wrong line of work. Anyone out there want to buy a sex club?