Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 215

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 220
CRUISING for SEX - View Single Post - Moist Towelettes
View Single Post
Old 1st August 2004, 02:50 PM
ScruffyCub
Cruiser

There's tons more shit in my vehicle, but I thought I should truncate the list. I do not have an air compressor, though! I'm jealous. I do have jumper cables. Cordless drill stays at home, though I've been thinking of taking it for a Sunday drive one of these days. Perhaps the ratcheting screwdriver would like to come along as well, make a day out of it.

The quick story on the snake bite kit is this: I picked it up years and years ago for sexual purposes. Though I'm not into all that nipple expansion and stuff, I was curious to see just how strong the little suction cups were, and if they provided any worthwhile sensation. Turns out the answer was "not so much." So when I first moved to Florida and encountered my first snake on the dunes at the beach, I thought it might be wise to carry it with me in case I ever needed it for its actual and intended purpose. I'm pretty sure I've read that there are more poisonous snakes in New York than in Florida, but since it is nice weather all year here, I suppose one's odds of running into a snake is increased as they are not hibernating much -- or at all.

OK, enough chit chat bullshit from me.

About those super-bacteria, etc....

Keep in mind that using antibacterial products from time to time isn't going to harm anyone or suddenly create a mutant colony of deadly bugs.

The concern is that the recent trend toward super-antiseptic lifestyles could lead to problems in the future, though we HAVE seen some examples that this might be an issue right now. Take the ABX-resistant staph we discussed a few months ago, for example. Not cool.

It's overkill when they start selling EVERYTHING with some sort of antibacterial property. Hell, even certain plastics now have antibacterial counterparts. Dish soaps, bar soaps, shampoos, floor cleaners, window cleaners -- it's freaking ridiculous. There's no need for these products: they are just a marketing ploy to be ignored... kind of like "Carb Solutions" and all that trendy bullshit.

Yet people buy into this stuff, figuratively and literally, becoming afraid of naturally occurring bacteria that have been on planet Earth far longer than we have.

Fact is, we NEED bacteria. Most bacteria are beneficial or harmless. We get along with them, they get along with us, though admittedly they don't make for the best companions at parties, often being rather poor conversationalists and having a tendency to hog all the spinach dip.

Superinfections in humans can and DO happen. If someone takes antibiotics for extended periods of time, or if they ignore the prescription instructions to finish the course of treatment, certain infections can actually get much worse and stop responding to ABX therapy.

But if just use common sense and listen to our doctors' advice, there's little cause for alarm.

On a large scale, there is some reason to be concerned about the over-use of antibacterial products: we can't stop everyone from going wild with this stuff. The best we can do is to do our own part and NOT abuse these products. Maybe also try to quell the fears of those who believe they might be better off living in a plastic bubble...

So just go about your life and do whatever. Use your hand gels and moist towelettes when situations call for them. A perfectly appropriate situation would be immediately following an encounter with some trucker's ass. And of course, having moist towelettes handy in case you ever run across an opportunity to partake in some good Southern BBQ won't hurt, either.
Quote |