Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 215

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 220
CRUISING for SEX - View Single Post - Help!
Thread: Help!
View Single Post
Old 15th August 2004, 02:40 PM
ScruffyCub
Cruiser

PS:

If you DO reformat your hard disk as a last resort, you would STILL be well advised to start backing up your Cookies and Favorites and whatever else you can think of. They will come in handy when you start fresh.

MORE IMPORTANT SHIT:

Make SURE your Windows Updates are done in a timely fashion! WAY too many people ignore them. This is seriously important shit.

Click START, then SETTINGS, then Windows Update. Follow the instructions. (Your PC may be set to do auto updates, especially if you have XP -- in which case, cool.)

If you wipe your hard drive clean, you will have to do all your updates again -- update system stuff, Explorer, Media Player, Direct X -- it's annoying, but has to be done. If you have dial up -- god help you. If you have Broadband, you can get it done in a few hours, though you'll suffer through several dozen reboots.

You may not even have an actual Windows disc. Some computers ship with ONLY a restore disc, which will return your PC back to the condition it was in when it came out of the box -- usually this means loaded with software you'll never use and full of AOL free trial icons. Any new hardware you've added since you got the PC will have to be reinstalled. Drivers updated, etc.

It's just not fun for a newbie to take on this task... but not impossible. If you DO have a Windows disc... that helps much more, but you'll still be faced with lots of tinkering.

Do note: reinstalling Windows by itself will NOT fix most problems. Installing Windows OVER an existing copy is NOT the same thing as doing a CLEAN INSTALL. You need to WIPE THE DRIVE in order to start fresh. GA mentioned that, but I wasn't sure if you knew the difference.

GA also mentioned a good pop up blocker -- and I recommend this, too. However, when you have MASSIVE, multiple pop ups streaming in as the result of a Trojan horse... a pop up blocker isn't going to be able to keep up. Also, they do not work well for POP UNDER ads.

Still... I consider it a mandatory tool that makes things easier online.

Just use the one included with the Google Toolbar:

www.toolbar.google.com

The install takes a few seconds. It's well worth it if you don't have this already. You get the handy pop up blocker and lots of other Google features.

As you install, you'll be presented with privacy options dialogue. You can safely accept either choice, but my personal preference is for NO "advanced features." They aren't really necessary, but at the same time, Google won't harm your PC in any way -- they just track site usage data.

Agghhh... one more thing, and I promise I'll shut up, or at least get back to talking about sex...

First, DO use Ad Aware, SpyBot and antivirus software to clean up your PC. These will do removals automatically for you, and that's the best way to handle the situation.

However, there is also a program that average users never discover within Windows. It can help fix a LOT of issues that creep up over time as you install more and more stuff. EVERY geek knows about it and won't be impressed with this revelation, but:

Click START, then RUN, then type in MSCONFIG. Click the tab for STARTUP. From here, you can remove items one at a time and reboot to see if something is causing a conflict with something else. Some spyware will install in here, but some won't be removed that easily. It can change entry names each time you remove one -- it just makes a new name. However, it's a GREAT little program to keep in mind for fixing... well, just about anything.

DO NOT remove SYSTEM TRAY or EXPLORER. Anything else, you can probably tinker with safely. If you see that you run into problems from having removed something, just put it back. This is a troubleshooting tool, though: if things are working well, just leave them alone.

If you don't know what an entry is, you can find a list of many common items found in Startup here:

http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startup/list.html

Most things aren't really necessary. They'll start on their own when you fire up the associated program, and it's really just overkill to have them running EVERY time you boot up.

But that's just for those who want to tinker or if you have a real emergency on your hands in the future. May as well learn about it now anyway. New PC or not, all these little tips here will help you down the road.
Quote |