Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 215

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 220
CRUISING for SEX - View Single Post - fighting lewd conduct charge
View Single Post
Old 6th July 2005, 07:15 PM
dcfan
Cruiser

Why is my lawyer advising me to plead No Contest?

So I got a lawyer who specializes in lewd conduct cases, but so far after several thousand dollars, I seem to have nothing to show for it. The DA offered me $150 fine or 5 days in jail, a year of probation, a stay-away from the place, and a charge of lewd conduct. Isn't this what I would have been offered without having paid for a lawyer? It doesn't seems like any plea bargaining has taken place. I'm not being offered a lesser charge or an alternate sanctioning program, nor has my lawyer filed any sort of motion to dismiss.

Strangest of all, he seemed to think I should plead no contest, but when I asked if there were any drawbacks to going to trial (like a stiffer sentence) he said no. And with lewd conduct on my record I could lose my job. I thought my lawyer was going to pressure the DA to drop the case, not pressure me to do so! And all along, people have been telling me to fight it to the end, so it's very weird that he's now saying I should give up to save a couple of thousand dollars in legal fees if my job/living is on the line. Is it time for a new lawyer, or does anyone see a method to his madness?
Quote |