Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 215

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 220
CRUISING for SEX - View Single Post - Is Swallowing Safe?
View Single Post
Old 8th November 2005, 04:37 PM
ScruffyCub
Cruiser

Dude...

I was DEFENDING you, you know. Sheesh.

Your theory is HALF correct. I SAID it is entirely true that having one STD makes you MORE likely to catch another and/or PASS along one of them to a partner. This has been statistically proved -- but no one is entirely certain EXACTLY WHY it happens, though several theories lead the pack.

The minor quibble is that there is no direct evidence the HIV is "piggybacking" along with a bacterial STD. In other words, HIV does NOT hitch a ride with gonorrhea -- but HIV CAN spread more quickly if someone has gonnorhea... or syphillis... or anything else.

And the fact remains -- your story CANNOT be medically or scientifically verified -- but that doesn't mean there is NO credibility to it at all. In fact, once again... I DEFENDED the overall point you were trying to make: one STD means an increased risk for ANOTHER. I was referring to someone else who BERATED YOU when I said I'm fed up with catty fags!

NO doctor can state with any certainty that HIV "piggybacked" along with gonorrhea in the case of your ex and was the cause of his seroconversion. There is NO WAY to prove this -- period. HOWEVER... TWO STDs often means a better chance of catching ONE or BOTH of them from an infected partner. So YES -- it is highly likely that gonorrhea did play a part in this. But by no means can we say exactly what happened on a physiological, cellular level.

This is the point I'm trying to make here when it comes to defining HIV statistics and WHY it is SO difficult to state with any certainty that individual sexual acts are safe or unsafe or moderately safe.

There are certainly many dudes out there who have swallowed HIV+ cum numerous times and NOT been infected. And then there's the unlucky bastards who do it ONCE and catch it. Far too many factors come into play and we are forced to rely on individual statements of "fact," which simply CANNOT be used as scientific evidence per se. Yet we must take into account that there is probably SOME truth to what we are told by newly diagnoses HIV patients. We must keep this information in mind and we can use it as a loosely defined variable when forming our hypotheses, but we cannot consider it to be irrefutable FACT. To do so would be to ignore the very foundations of the scientific method.

Which is why it is necessary to put things into perspective and present the facts as we know them. We simply cannot trust word of mouth -- but we DO take it into consideration. And that's JUST how it should be until we know more.

WHY this is important can be summed up nicely by referring to a guy I spoke with who wanted to get together with me many years ago. His EXACT words to me were: "I didn't know you could get HIV from anal sex."

Now, that's an extreme example, but it just goes to show you that there are a LOT of misinformed individuals out there. And these sadly confused dudes can cause a LOT of trouble by having extremely unsafe sex without even having a clue as to what they are doing.

So your basic idea is SOUND and VALID -- and I supported that. You taking offense to the FACT that your story is second hand is kind of silly -- it IS second hand. That doesn't mean there's NO truth to it -- it just means that we cannot use it as a means to draw a scientific conclusion! But you shouldn't feel bad about that -- we don't use ANY individual's statement of fact as SCIENTIFIC FACT when we are calculating HIV risk and infection rates. These statements are considered and noted and taken into account -- but they are not deemed to be factual, indisputable evidence.

This is why the CDC lists so very few cases of HIV as a result of oral sex ONLY -- because there are only a very few cases which have been PROVED to be as such. The CDC readily admits there may be MANY more -- but these cannot be listed in the statistics because they rely on second-hand information and individual statements which may or may not be true.

The very, very bottom line here, in simplest possible terms is this:

Yeah, sucking dick is PROBABLY not going to net you a case of HIV. But it COULD.

Many, many people, gay and straight, suck dick and eat cum and do NOT get HIV from doing so.

But that doesn't mean you WON'T.

So we each assess our own acceptable level of risk and decide what kind of sex life we wish to have -- and we can only hope for the best.
Quote |