Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 215

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 220
CRUISING for SEX - View Single Post - Expat teachers in Thailand
View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2006, 10:02 AM
buzzard
Cruiser

Expat teachers in Thailand

Did anybody else read the odd opinion piece that ran in the Bangkok Post today? It was written by Harry Nicolaides, described as "a Melbourne-born teacher who has taught in Thailand for the last three years." In his article he uses the recent arrest of John Karr to go off on a diatribe about the "strange people" teaching English in Thailand. As someone that has taught in Bangkok language schools, I can certainly confirm that there are plenty of oddballs posing as teachers, but I don't think most of them are criminally inclined. Anyway, one paragraph in this guy's article today was particularly bizarre. It almost looks like the editor screwed up, or maybe this guy just doesn't write clearly. In the following excerpt Nicolaides is talking about an expat teacher - supposedly a disgraced "former US senator" - in Phuket. Here it what he writes:
"I met him at a go-go bar in Phuket...he was last seen teaching a transexual prostitute to sing the Star Spangled Banner in an area notorious for homosexual encounters with young men who had had a sex change operation in Bangkok."
Huh??? And why did the Bangkok Post let this odd Aussie write a half-page article?
Quote |