Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 215

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 220
CRUISING for SEX - View Single Post - Are ABS The New Dinosaurs?
View Single Post
Old 10th November 2009, 08:12 PM
Grumpybear
Cruiser

Are ABS The New Dinosaurs?

Every day, I see notices of more adult bookstores (ABS) closing their doors. While some are being swallowed by the large chains, most are small operations going out of business.

There are, in my opinion, several reasons for the recent trend. Of course, the bad economy is to blame for some. You can cut costs and discount prices only so far. As the red ink creeps into the books, the owner must make hard decisions. In addition, the bad economy has emboldened local purists who want to close all ABS. If the ABS is already struggling, the prospect of another lengthy legal battle to keep the store open is a financial impossibility. The legal fees may be the difference in turning a marginal business into a losing business.

Local government (mis)regulation is a factor in many closings. Some localities have instituted permit fees for each coin operated entertainment device (peep show booth). Championed as a tax source that targets an unpopular group (ABS customers), some have raised permit fees to unrealistic amounts to force closure of the booth areas. Some ABS have responded by charging admission fees instead of coin/token operated booths.

Of course, public nuisance laws are a local government's favorite weapons. A file of violations is accumulated against the "offending" ABS; common examples are genital exposure or public sex in the parking lot, contributing to the delinquency of minors (customers tossing sexual explicit material in the parking lot), loitering for sexual purposes inside or outside the ABS (doesn't have to involve money), promotion of illicit sexual behavior (presence of gloryholes), and creating a public health hazard (evidence of semen on booth walls or floor, or improperly discarded condoms). Once the municipality can establish a pattern of violations, legal action can commence to close the ABS as a "public nuisance". It does not matter that the operator is not responsible for many of these actions, the ABS is held responsible for the actions of its customers.

Lastly, the mainstreaming of portions of the adult business is siphoning off ABS business. I can buy certain KY products cheaper at Wal-Mart than from a wholesaler? Family friendly Wal-Mart has even added a few discreet vibrators (displayed as "massagers") to its inventory. Drug store chains are taking over the lube business plus moving into penile pumps and vibrators.

What will the demise of ABS mean to the gay cruiser? As misguided cops clamp down on park activities and highway rest stops, the loss of ABS will further limit gay cruising.

If ABS are a dying breed (I really hope not), how will you adjust to the new reality to get your cruising done?

Interested in your opinions, and comments. Also, let me hear about your favorite ABS that has closed.
Quote |