Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 215

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 220
CRUISING for SEX - View Single Post - Wildest Upcountry Town
View Single Post
Old 13th December 2009, 10:04 PM
fountainhall
Cruiser

Quote:
although farangs THINK that Thai are totally accepting of gay people, it's really NOT accepted
This is largely true, but not entirely so. You just have to look at the number of gays who appear on television and the way this is accepted by Thai society. A lot of guys I have met over the years are openly gay and that is fully accepted by their families and the family's friends. There was even a gossip article in one of Bangkok's English newpapers yesterday about a famous lesbian and her latest 'marriage' to a previously straight actress. But generally speaking, Thailand is a very conservative society.

Quote:
My perception of Thailand is that things are very much more complicated than farangs think
Now THAT is totally true - the rules of Thai society and Thai logic defeat most westerners, so it's usually best just to accept life in Thailand for what it is and not to try and understand why it is so.

Quote:
all contribute to a very GRIM life
The lives lead by the majority may seem grim to westerners, but when this is all you know and this is your country, it may not seem so bad. Corruption in particular in an evil which helps ensure that wealth does not trickle down to the countryside. Yet, the vast majority who live in the country seem to accept and participate in that corruption. So its roots worm their way deep into Thai society. Again, I think wantasian's comment is a general truth, but "grim" would hardly describe the life lead by many millions of Thais.
Quote |