Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 215

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 220
CRUISING for SEX - View Single Post - How do gay baths avoid police issues?
View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2015, 09:55 AM
infopop
Bob S: Administrator / Manager / Editor

Well, the thing with the light-rail Red Line is that the construction had already disrupted business for other stores or restaurants along the route. Many of them became unprofitable during that time, some never recovered. So, whole blocks became run-down (or even more run down than they already were) and -- with the new rail access -- were prime targets for developers.

That area, Midtown Houston, started gentrifying and it just gets faster and faster and more and more expensive, too. The baths are also located there. I don't know if they both own their own property or have landlords but regardless, their tax assessments (or rents) are probably rising and increasing the cost of doing business. On the other hand, the baths have a lot more customers now in walking distance. A lot more gay men live in the area, although there are trendy str8 bars too. A large gay country bar in Midtown, the Brazos River Bottom, shut down. I think they either lost their lease or their rent went up too much but I don't really know. Epitaph: The BRB never had enough parking anyhow.

I'm pressed for time and it's really off the subject, but the effect on other neighborhoods and what's happening with the expanded and newer rail lines and the properties around them is, well, interesting and typical.
Quote |