Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 215

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 220
CRUISING for SEX - View Single Post - Cruising 1970s, Cruising 2015
View Single Post
Old 16th November 2015, 11:00 AM
infopop
Bob S: Administrator / Manager / Editor

Cruising 1970s, Cruising 2015

There's a book review from Slate last week which gay cruisers will want to see. I posted a link to Searching in the Shadows on the CFS Home Page Friday but didn't have time then to mention it and add it here.

Anyhow, there's a whole bunch of interesting things here. It's a review and comparison of two photography books. One is Alvin Baltrop’s "The Piers" which has images of gay cruising on the Hudson River piers in Manhattan in the 1970s and 1980s. The other is Thomas Roma’s "In the Vale of Cashmere" which has images of cruising in Brooklyn's Prospect Park these days. Of course there's some photos; unfortunately I had to resize the two of "then" and "now" I uploaded here.

More than that, there's a mention of an unidentified "cruising website, a sort of Yelp.com for gay cruising spots around the world." What could that be?

I don't have time to write at length, and you should read it for yourself and form your own opinions. After discussing the books, his reaction, and the current state of cruising, the author, a drag queen, talks about his own mixed feelings about cruising, why he does it, and ends with a quote from a "gorgeous" man he encountered going to a park:

“I have to work early tomorrow. This is easy.”
Attached Thumbnails
cruising-1970s-cruising-2015-alvin_baltrop_the_piers.jpg   cruising-1970s-cruising-2015-thomas_roma_in_the_vale_of_cashmere.jpg  
Quote |