Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 215

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 220
CRUISING for SEX - View Single Post - Possible risk of exposure?
View Single Post
Old 29th October 2004, 06:02 PM
ScruffyCub
Cruiser

I had a similar experience which I related here at least once before. A dude walked into my room at a bathhouse and simply sat down on my already hard dick. I was amazed at how effortlessly he managed to do this -- and how fast. In my case, however, I didn't have abrasions on my dick and I most certainly DID push him the hell off (though it required a very minor "struggle").

Though I have already stated about four or five times in the last couple months that I don't subscribe to odds-making when it comes to risk of STD transmission... like the two posts above, I'll have to agree that your risk was minimal.

Also like the two posts above, I'm telling you that only so you don't freak out as much as you might otherwise freak out. Yet I know this doesn't necessarily help. I've talked to guys and held their hand through testing (metaphorically, online) who had much, much LESS risky sex but who still couldn't stop worrying. So it's really a matter of YOUR perspective more than anything else. Some dudes will flip out if a guy cums on their hand. Others take it in stride if they have four different dicks up their ass in one night.

Here's the bottom line, dude: there are NO odds that you can accept as completely accurate. There are degrees of risk, yes. But all the numbers that get tossed around... eh. Can't put much faith in those.

Furthermore, the ONLY way you can EVER know for sure is to get tested. End of story. All the talk in the world won't change that.

Get tested now, to ease your mind. After you get the results, wait six months, get tested again. That's the best course of action at this point. A test now is not going to be as accurate as a test taken in six months, and you could very well wait and just test then, but it can be VERY beneficial to get through one test right away. You'll be familiar with the whole process and won't be as reluctant to go through with it again in the future, and you'll have built up confidence that might come in handy when it's time for the six month test. Even testing at three months is more accurate than testing done the day after exposure, so wait three months if six seems too long for you. (We are talking about standard testing here, the stuff most normal folks can afford and can have done anonymously -- not PCR testing, which is expensive, not available anonymously, but does show results much sooner than your basic ELISA or whatever.)

I'm going to nitpick just a LITTLE here. HIV can be transmitted through "micro-cuts" in oral mucosa -- we know this, but again, we have no definite "odds" for something like that. We are also fairly sure it can be transmitted through the meatus (pee slit) of the penis. This assumes intact skin on the rest of the penis. Therefore, it is hard to say to any degree of certainty that abrasions need to be more pronounced or more than superficial to allow for HIV to enter the body. HIV can also be transmitted with a single stab from an infected hypodermic, as has been evidenced in a few cases where HIV was contracted by medical professionals. It isn't necessary to use a needle to suck blood into the syringe as when doing intravenous drugs, shoot it back into the body, then share the syringe with someone else.

HOWEVER -- it IS true that the bigger the cut, the more blood to blood or blood to virus contact -- the easier it can be to transmit HIV. Since we believe AMOUNT of virus makes a difference, obviously the more virus allowed into the body will increase risk.

But the fact remains: intact skin and unprotected insertion IS a risk in and of itself. The abrasions on your dick didn't help matters at all. There were multiple risk factors involved here.

And while it is true that tops are generally "safer" than bottoms when it comes to bareback sex, it is ALSO true that tops CAN and DO get HIV from unprotected sex with infected bottoms. If ONLY bottoms got HIV -- it would be that much more difficult to spread, wouldn't it? Yes, versatile guys come into the equation, of course. But the fact remains: bottoms AND tops can get it.

This is another great example of so many unique and varied elements coming into play during real world sex -- the differences between each and every sexual act are so vast that it becomes mind-numbingly difficult to try to ACCURATELY assess risk for each and every one of them. The permutations are endless.

What everyone has told you is true:

The guy's behavior is indicative of him probably being the type who does this sort of thing often. That's not cool. But it doesn't mean he had any diseases. It might... but it might not.

The abrasions on your penis didn't help, but it's probably likely they are of minimal consequence.

The duration of time was short -- that's good. But it also isn't the only factor involved.

You being in the top position is better than being in the bottom position -- but it isn't a guarantee for 100% risk-free sex.

If he had done this with many other guys that night, you may have been exposed to semen and/or blood. Or maybe not. Even if you had, the amount was probably very small. Was it small ENOUGH? Probably. But "probably" is NOT "certainly."

While getting tested is the only way to know for sure, and while I am always reluctant to assess complicated sexual encounters with many variables -- I'm going to go out on a limb here and tell you my personal opinion is that you shouldn't let yourself worry too much.

I think you SHOULD worry just enough to go get tested. Like I said, it's good to be familiar with the process. And the final result will ease your mind.

When guys panic about this kind of stuff, things can get out of control very quickly. I'm not saying you sound as if you are panicking -- I'm saying you sound CONCERNED.

Concerned is good. Go get tested. Meanwhile... it's likely you're going to be just fine. And actually, that's an even BETTER excuse to get tested -- to confirm that you ARE fine. You'll have more confidence to go get it done.

Finally... get tested anonymously. Remember that confidential testing is not the same thing as anonymous testing.
Quote |