Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 215

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 220
CRUISING for SEX - View Single Post - Possible risk of exposure?
View Single Post
Old 5th November 2004, 06:34 PM
cutguy
Cruiser

This may come as a surprise, but even though I/we may have MD after our names, that does not mean we are geniuses/ all knowing/ or infallible. (I am all of the above, but I am an exception)

STDs like company. When we find one in a patient, odds are good that we will find a second, if we choose to look. Do we look? Answer: Sometimes. Should we look? Answer: Always.

Do we routinely screen for STDs? Answer: No. Come into my office complaining of bronchitis, it would be unethical of me to insist on a genital check and do a rectal exam. I could always justify it as being "a complete patient evaluation", but it would remain unethical to pursue.

Am I legally allowed to check for HIV without express permission from the patient? Answer: No, I am not. And yes, now that John Edwards is in need of a job, you could hire him to sue me if I pulled such a stunt. He needs the money, now that his wife is sick, and he has a reputation.

Anonymous testing is when Dr. Danny goes to a not so local clinic, rolls up his sleeve, pays cash for the test, and Mr 00038881 calls back several days later for the test results. Confidential is when YOU come to Dr Danny's office, I run the test, print "no copies" on my office notes, and then have the supreme court of Georgia subpoena my medical records with your name and my "no copies" printed on them

Sexually active men should be tested for STDs, especially chlamydia and syphilis every 6 months or so, or anytime there are symptoms. HIV at least annually. And yes, your doctor needs to know that you are gay, sexually active, and what those euphemistic "sexual activities" include. If he/she is an ass hole, you need to find another doctor. But you need the opportunity to establish a professional relationship with someone who truly cares about your health needs, and your intimate concerns and fears. We aren't as rare as you would believe.

Answer your questions?

Dr Danny (MD)
Quote |