Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 215

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 220
CRUISING for SEX - View Single Post - Question about oral sex and HIV +
View Single Post
Old 14th November 2004, 09:15 AM
ScruffyCub
Cruiser

A few very quick additions here:

The study cited STILL relies on the assumption that the men involved TOLD THE TRUTH AT ALL TIMES. This always allows for a much lager margin of error than is generally reported. Johns Hopkins or not, we need to take it with a grain of salt. There's some validity there, sure -- it is worth consideration, yes. But it is NOT, by any means, to be used as a sexual barometer or to quell fears about certain sexual behaviors.

I'm quite certain TevaBoi posted this with all good intentions. He and I don't agree politically all the time, but I can tell he's a good dude at heart. My concern with facts and figures is that sometimes they can give false confidence. If someone thinks to themselves: "Hey, 1:2000 is good odds, I'm going to go for it," that can get dangerous. We need to downplay the numbers.

If you put 1,999 blue coins in a bag, add one red coin, and reach in to pull one out, odds are extremely good you'll get a blue coin almost every time. But guys... SOMEDAY you'll get the red one. It might take 4,000 tries to do it. Or it might take ONE.

That is the reality of the risk. We all need to understand that.

I love science -- adore it, in fact. I love medicine. I love FACTS. But facts ALWAYS need to be practically applied in order to be fully utilized.

I bet we all agree on that.

I will not TOUCH the religious angle mentioned here!

And finally, Danny Doctor Sir -- we're better off being platonic buddies, so no worries. I hope it's OK with you if someday I maybe just pinch your nipples a little, though.

OK, guys. I'm outta here for real. See you in a few days.
Quote |