Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 215

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 220
CRUISING for SEX - View Single Post - new to gay scene - how do you meet?
View Single Post
Old 12th January 2005, 01:44 PM
ScruffyCub
Cruiser

If you are in a new city while traveling, how is it that discretion is somehow lost if you were to go to a gay bar or bookstore or bathhouse?

No one knows you in a hotel bar; no one knows you in any OTHER cruising area, either.

What's the difference?

Why is being a "corporate" type of guy any different from being any OTHER type of guy? Are you going to wear a suit and tie and carry your briefcase into a bookstore? Why not just wear jeans and a t-shirt and blend right in? I'm afraid I don't get it. In a bathhouse, we're all wearing towels -- there's little distinction drawn between the men who shuffle papers on a desk for a living and those of us who do blue-collar tasks to make a buck.

I would think that at the very least your options are EXPANDED when traveling in a strange city. You should have MORE freedom to do as you please.

Which makes me suspect there are other issues in play here that you have not mentioned.

At least in a gay bar, bathhouse or bookstore you already KNOW the other guys are looking for SEX. In a straight bar or hotel bar with transient clientèle, you are ALWAYS going to be in DOUBT about who you are talking to. Seems to me that playing guessing games all the time would eventually lead to many more nervous encounters than if you walked into a situation where there were dozens of SURE THINGS walking around wrapped in damp terry cloth.

Right?

Unless your face is regularly posted in Fortune or Money magazine and known on sight within the corporate world -- I don't think you have much to worry about.

Internet hookups often fail for travelers, though certainly there are some success stories out there. I can tell you that I almost NEVER bother with a guy who is visiting my town. These guys NEVER show up, NEVER leave their hotel room, NEVER have a rental car. And frankly, no disrespect intended, many are closet-cases who are just out to masturbate to an online fantasy and are consequently a waste of my time. A few bad apples spoil the bunch, so they say. Because I've been stiffed and lied to by ALMOST every business traveler I've ever talked to online, I simply do NOT bother anymore.

And why is it that business guys who DO have a rental car claim they cannot follow directions in a new city? Do you guys not understand MapQuest? Or is this just an excuse? Seriously, I'm asking. I can find ANYTHING in ANY city I've ever been to. I had printed directions to every adult bookstore in West Virginia -- and I found them ALL with ease.

I HAVE had SOME luck with Men4SexNow, but NEVER with an out of town dude -- only locals. It's worth a try, though.

Being an "out of towner" of sorts right now, I am finding it MUCH easier to just go to the ABS and get sucked off. I spent a couple nights cruising a certain gay website's local chat, only to find the same game-players and bullshitters that I have found in my own town. It's not worth the aggravation.

GWT often extols the virtues of face to face cruising over internet cruising. He's RIGHT, too. I only wish I had ABSs back in Florida near where I live. I'm having a grand old time...
Quote |