Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 215

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 220
CRUISING for SEX - View Single Post - HIV from Kissing... Impossible?
View Single Post
Old 17th February 2005, 01:31 PM
ScruffyCub
Cruiser

Chevo:

Listen to the doc!

To clarify a bit -- saliva is not considered "as infectious" as other body fluids. Perhaps this is the basis of your confusion here.

It is difficult to quantify your personal risk in this real-life situation. There are lots of variables.

Do be aware that oral cuts tend to heal rapidly in healthy individuals. Even if the cut you had in your mouth was not fully healed in a matter of a few hours, most likely the bleeding had stopped and healing had at least BEGUN. This is good news. But it's also speculation, so bear that in mind.

To Doctor Danny: I thought HIV prophylaxis treatment was only available to health care workers at this time. In fact, I was fairly sure I read something recently which mentioned that "they" are trying to get approval (from who?) to release HIV meds to the general population in situations such as this where prevention is at least still possible. Is this information incorrect? Can "regular folks" get HIV prophylaxis? If so -- that's great! I'm glad to be incorrect.

Chevo, there ARE reported cases (very few) of HIV being transmitted from kissing. In most instances, both individuals had some severe gingivitis going on with lots of oral lesions and bleeding. These are cases CONFIRMED by the CDC. This means we only know that these have been documented as true. The number of cases of HIV transmitted from kissing is not absolute. There may be many more incidents that are not confirmed or even remotely provable within real-world sexual contact.

"Impossible" is not a good word to use when discussing medical issues. SOME things are certainly medically impossible -- women don't get pregnant from holding hands with a man -- but placing a clear-cut label of "yes" or "no" on something as complicated as HIV can be a mistake.

No one here is trying to frighten you. I would like very much to tell you that I feel HIGHLY CONFIDENT that you will be fine. But you need to take immediate action just the same. You may be in for a few rotten days ahead, but when they are over I hope to have you come back here and let us know that everything worked out for you.

It would also be a good idea to get tested again in three months or six months or both. Meanwhile, if prophylaxis is available to you and you meet the time-frame criterion -- get it done!

Finally... it's evident that you are also emotionally and spiritually stressed by this turn of events in your relationship. A partner who begins and relationship with a lie of omission is not a suitable partner, in my opinion. I'm sorry you have to deal with this, but overall I think it's much better that at least you know NOW before any future sexual encounters led to anything even MORE high-risk.

Should you wish to discuss the other aspects of your situation, the mental and emotional stresses involved, start a new thread and I'm sure lots of us guys would be glad to help you out.

Let us know how you are doing and what you find out, please. I don't want to be left hanging on this one, OK?

If I stated anything here that is medically inaccurate, Dr. Danny will make the necessary corrections -- listen to HIM first.

Take care.
Quote |