Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 215

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 220
CRUISING for SEX - View Single Post - HIV from Kissing... Impossible?
View Single Post
Old 17th February 2005, 03:20 PM
cutguy
Cruiser

It would be way beyond the ethical pale to offer post exposure prophyllaxis only to physicans/health care workers. It's just we have almost instant access to care/meds.

It boils down to a time frame. If someone walked into my office, admitted to unprotected, receptive anal sex the night before, complete with ejaculation, I would say a few Hail Maries, cross my fingers, and write the prescriptions. If the same guy (gal) came into my office with the same story except the exposure was 3 or 4 days ago, I wouldn't.

We don't really know that post exposure prophyllaxis really works, what the best recipe is, etc. It looks like 48 hours is the upper limit of success. And frequently, triple drugs after a deep needle stick fails

Chevo, your posting went on as I was typing. For what it's worth, the acute flu like illness associated with HIV infection usually starts 7-14 days after exposure. You haven't described symptoms, saliva is not overly infection, so in all likelyhood, you are going to be fine. A few grey hairs, perhaps, but fine. You are in for a few really rocky days, and a roller coaster of emotion. I know, been there myself. But go throught the testing, and you will sleep a lot better when it's over.

My final bit of philosophy/theology:
There are no atheists in the foxholes.

Good luck, please, keep us/me posted

Dr Danny
Quote |