Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 215

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 220
CRUISING for SEX - View Single Post - The "Sweetheart Scam" - Not Just For Elders
View Single Post
Old 25th March 2016, 01:52 AM
KewlDewd66
Cruiser

Call me crazy, but whenever a well-meaning organization issues a pamphlet, I cannot stop thinking of Glee's Emma Pilsbury's office filled with little neatly folded one page pamphlets that promised to answer any question and resolve any issue.

Unfortunately, life is usually too complex for very simple if well-intentioned solutions. And with so many pamphlets around (as in Emma's Office), I am really wondering if anyone is really taking them seriously?

All of us, and in particular, our seniors need strong support networks. People to talk to, and check their decisions with, among so many other things.

The folks who are integrated into their school/work/club networks are a bit better off. The solitary seniors are obviously the most vulnerable ones.

The vulnerability of the seniors is a direct consequence of the lack of intergenerational cooperation in many advanced societies. Sadly, much of it is a cultural trait, too.

Most of my US friends who are now senior citizens (or who are approaching that age) have been proudly telling me how they are now going on SKI vacations. When I looked incredulous, they enlightened me with the explanation that SKI meant Spending your Kids' Inheritance!

Sure, more power to them! It is their money...

Most of my European friends of the same peer group thought that I was kidding them...

When alls said and done, there is a price tag attached to almost everything. If you are going around boasting how you are spending your kids' inheritance on one day, how can you be possibly seeking their support and help in your hour of need?

I have absolutely no doubt that some folks will rise above the materialistic world, and come to support their otherwise SKIing parents and relatives. More power to them, too!

Yet, for many the daily grind and the struggle to manage your life in this economy takes a very heavy toll. Some simply cannot afford to dedicate any time or resources to support anyone in any sense because they are barely making it themselves. And the others do not wish to be taken advantage of by the hitherto SKIers.

Just my 2 cents...

KD
Quote |