Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 215

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/web/public_html/bb/showpost.php on line 220
CRUISING for SEX - View Single Post - From Narratively: Why Having Gay Sex in a Park is Still Thriving in 2016
View Single Post
Old 9th September 2016, 12:31 PM
infopop
Bob S: Administrator / Manager / Editor

From Narratively: Why Having Gay Sex in a Park is Still Thriving in 2016

This Narratively piece came up in my Facebook News Feed when I looked through it last night while winding down at the end of a long day/night/whatever:

Why Having Gay Sex in a Park is Still Thriving in 2016 – Narratively

It's by Katia Repina and Luca Aimi, both photographers who work in Barcelona. There's some truly beautiful photos of the Parc de Montjuïc.

They write:
Quote:
Montjuic is a large hill overlooking the harbor near the city center of Barcelona. Over the centuries it has been the site of Celtic settlers, Roman ceremonies, political executions, and several events during the 1992 Olympic Games. It is now a recreational area, home to parks, gardens, museums and a castle. It is also a meeting place for a community of men who practice cruising – searching for sexual encounters in public places.

The cruising scene, which many participants say dates back to at least the 1970s, attracts men of a variety of backgrounds and desires, not all of whom identify as gay. They juggle the fears of being exposed and judged with the rush of clandestine encounters that make them feel deliciously alive. Although the number of people cruising here has somewhat decreased over the years, many insist that what they enjoy about the practice has not been replaced by the mainstream acceptance of homosexuality, or by the rise of dating apps. “What is hiding there in the distance, behind the dark leaves of the forest?” says Alex, who, like all of the men in this article, agreed to be interviewed on the condition his full name not be published. “Sex, yes, but also the fact of not knowing what is out there, that is what I like about it.”
The photos are captioned with more quotes from men. You'll see a wide range of ages. Here's just a few:

“Every time I go to Montjuic I go up the hill through the same stairs. As I go up, that tingling sensation starts, like when you were a kid and there were presents to unwrap. It gets me every time.” – Aquiles, 25

“Going out to a bar to pick up someone? I tried that, but I am five-foot-three, nobody notices me, and wasting fifty Euros on drinks to look like a dwarf, trampled by all the other guys – no thanks! Hitting up guys on the internet, or on a date… it’s scarier. Picking up guys [in Montjuic] gave me more self-confidence, so that I dare to go to meet guys in other places. Not my entire sexual life is here, absolutely not!” – Francesc, 43, cruising for twenty years

“I like to watch the stars and feel free while I am fucking.” – Axel, 34

“What I like about cruising is that… I have no obligation or commitment; I won’t see them again, and I like that. That turns me on.” – Aquiles

“I come here for sex, but I also come for something more. That something more could be friendship, a conversation, maybe even a partner. Sometimes, I just come to have a walk, watch the people passing by. It’s true that the more you grow old, the less important sex becomes. Many people who I have been with know that the first thing I ask [for] is not even a kiss, but a hug. Because a hug often tells you more about this person, just by the way a person hugs you.” – Vincente, 47. He also talks about changes in his sex life relative to HIV.

I'm not including all, but all are worth reading and seeing the photos with them. This last one from Francesc is one I truly relate to, at least remembering my past:
Quote:
“Sometimes, coming here makes me feel less alone, but sometimes it just makes me feel like I’m the only one on the planet. It depends on my mood; sort of like a roulette wheel.”
These days I don't have much personal time, and I'm OK with waiting and taking care of my elderly sick dogs and helping my ex move out. There's a time for everything.

~ Bob S.
Quote |